Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I grew up with my Mom's sweet potato balls for Thanksgiving but I saw this in Food Editors' Favorites submitted by Diane Wiggins of St. Louis for the St. Louis Globe. I thought it sounded different and good. I don't want to lose it. You can make this weeks in advance and freeze it, then simply place it in the oven 20 minutes before serving time. These need to bake from a frozen state so this is a make ahead which is helpful on holidays!
- 3 cups yams or 3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 8 marshmallows, regular size
- 1 cup corn flake crumbs or 1 cup pecans, ground
- Mash the potatoes and add the butter, sugar, milk, salt and orange rind to it.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup potato mixture with tablespoon, and shape around each marshmallow, using more as needed to cover.
- Roll each ball in crushed corn flake crumbs or ground nuts.
- Place balls in a buttered baking dish, cover with foil and freeze.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and take the balls directly from the freezer and place on pan and bake 20 minutes, or until marshmallows begin to ooze! DO NOT DEFROSTOR THAW THEM AS THEY WILL BE TOO SOGGY.