Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A traditional English recipe. Use either new, small peas, or small frozen peas. This is wonderful served as part of an English Sunday roast dinner! Another gem from Great British Cooking.
- 1 lb tiny peas
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook peas in a small amount of boiling, salted water, until tender (if using frozen peas, follow package instructions).
- Drain, and set aside.
- In another saucepan, heat the butter, and add the peas, mint and sugar.
- Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, tossing to mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
This is exactally how Mum used to cook her peas! Yum! Since I was boiling potatoes on the stove top (and to save an extra pot) I placed my peas into tin foil, added fresh mint then folded up the tin foil and sat it on top of the potatoes. Once heated through I followed truebrit's recipe exactally. Thanks!
YUM!! These were really good . . . I mean really good!!
These taste like the peas I had while growing up! I used frozen peas and dried mint and 1/2 tsp. of sugar. Super yummy! Made for Englands virtual culinary tour 2009.