Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Sweet corn bread is a Caribbean bake, from the Dominican Republic. It's a great staple, full of taste and very nutritious.
- 11 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄3 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut, fresh and grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Use 1 tablespoon of the butter to grease two 7x4x3 inch bread pans. Shake a little flour in each pan to coat.
- Sift the remaining flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves together. Gradually mix in the coconut milk and milk.
- Cream the remaining butter with sugar until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Gradually incorporate the cornmeal mixture and coconut.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, and bake in the center of the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Leave to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn the loaves out onto wire racks to cool completely.