Recipe by wirkwoman1
This is my Jewish mother-in-law's recipe for brisket. My kids call it "Magic Meat", so tasty. Need to plan in advance; tastes even better if allowed to marinate overnight before baking.
- 5 -6 lbs fresh unsalted beef brisket (Not Corned)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopes onion soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 24 ounces apricot jam
- 2 cups ketchup
Directions See How It's Made
- Heavily season the brisket with powders and pepper.
- Place the brisket on a rack inside a large roasting pan. Add water to the bottom of the pan to prevent burning and to make for easier cleaning. Broil the brisket for approximately 10 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, dissolve onion soup in 4 cups boiling water.
- Add apricot jam and ketchup and stir until ingredients are blended.
- After broiling the brisket, place the brisket in a deep, narrow oven-safe pan. Pour the apricot mixture over the brisket, so that the brisket is covered.
- Bake for 2-3 hours at 350 degrees or until tender.
- Cool. Slice. Put back into sauce and allow the flavors to blend overnight. Reheat in oven when ready to serve.