Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this from a coworker's wife years ago and it's always been my favorite bread pudding recipe. Make sure the bread is as dry as possible - the drier the bread, the more it will soak up the custard.
- 1 loaf sweet bread (1 lb)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Grease a 9x12 pan.
- Scald milk. Add sugar and butter. Mix until butter is melted. Cool.
- Break sweet bread into pieces (not too small). Spread apple pie filling on top of the sweet bread. Sprinkle raisins over the filling.
- Combine cooled milk mixture with beaten eggs. Pour liquid over the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
Very moist and flavorful. I have now made this for the second time. This time I added 1/2 C of walnuts and I used 1 C of applesauce because I didn't have apple pie filling on hand. It still was moist and the nuts brought it to a new level. Again, thanks for sharing!
This bread pudding turned out great!! Next time I will cook it for 20-25 minutes so it will be moister. Serve it warm with vanilla bean ice cream