Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Martha Stewarts Everyday Foods
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely grated fresh
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- coarse salt
- Bring wine, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until mixture has thickened to the consistency of honey, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Using a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes through the skin and flesh on both sides of each drumstick (this will help the flavors permeate the meat).
- Preheat grill to medium-low. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 7 seconds.)
- Place drumsticks on grill, and brush with sauce.
- Close cover, and grill 4 minutes.
- Flip chicken, and brush with sauce.
- Continue to cook, flipping and brushing with sauce every 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through, about 20 minutes total.
- Season with salt.
Great recipe! I was short on time, so to speed things up, I cooked the chicken with the sauce when the sauce had thickened. I then finished it up in the grill flipping it once and it came out perfect!
I also didn't have red wine, so I used chicken stock instead.
Will make this again for sure:)
Delicious and so easy. I didnt have red wine on hand so I used beer and baked it at 400 for 45 minutes after the sauce became sticky...so good. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Loved this recipe! I made as posted using a combo of thighs and drumsticks. The flavor is awesome. Thanks for posting a keeper! Made for PAC Fall 2008