Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is probably one of the best pork tenderloin dishes I have ever had!!! To keep the meat moist and tender, the tenderloins are first subjected to a salt bath or brining...then finished off on the barbecue with a sweet and spicy hoisin glaze.
- 2 pork tenderloin, trimmed
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
Sweet and Spicy Hoisin Glaze
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Trim the tenderloin of all of the fat and silverskin.
- Lay tenderloins on cutting board, flat side (side opposite where silverskin was) up. Using a dinner fork, scrape flat side lengthwise from end to end 5 times, until surface is completely scored. Repeat with second tenderloin.
- Disolve 3 T salt in 1-1/2 quarts cold water in a large container. Submerge tenderloins in brine and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Remove tenderloins from brine and pat completely dry with paper towels. Lay 1 tenderloin, scraped side up, on cutting board and lay second tenderloin, scraped side down, on top so that thick ends of 1 tenderloin matches up with thin end of the other. Tie the tenderloins together with kitchen twine, spacing evenly apart.
- Brush roast with vegetable oil and season with pepper. Transfer 1/3 cup glaze to bowl for grilling, reserving remaining glaze for serving.
- Clean and oil cooking grate. Heat all the burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. leave primary burner on high and turn off other burners.
- Place roast on cooler side of grill, cover and cook until meat registers 115 degrees, 22 - 28 minutes, flipping and rotating halfway through cooking.
- Slide roast to hotter part of grill and cook until lightly browned on all sides, 4 - 6 minutes. Brush top of roast with amount 1 tablespoon glaze and grill, glaze side down, until glaze begins to char, 2 - 3 minutes; repeat glazing and grilling with remaining 3 sides of roast, until meat registers 140 degrees.
- Transfer roast to carving board, tent loosley with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Carefully remove twine and slice roast into 1/2" thick slices. Serve with remaining glaze.
- Glaze: Heat oil is small saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, about 30 minutes. Whisk in hoisin and soy sauce until smooth. Remove pan from heat and stir in vinegar. Sauce can be done in advance.