Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple, fun and flavorful pasta dish from Monday to Friday Pasta by Michele Urvater. As written, this is not a particularly "saucy" recipe, so if you like more sauce, I would recommend increasing the tomato sauce and adjust seasonings accordingly, or just use less meat and/or pasta.
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 fresh green chile (or 1/2 t red pepper flakes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 3⁄4 lb wide egg noodles (or fettucine)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4-1 lb ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- plain yogurt (topping) (optional)
- feta cheese (topping) (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.
- While the water is heating, peel and finely chop onion. Peel and mince garlic. Seed and mince the chile (I used a serrano).
- in a small bowl, combine the spices (and red pepper flakes if not using fresh chile). set the bowl aside.
- add the pasta to the boiling water and cook till it is tender but still firm to the bite.
- meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. add the onions and garlic and saute about 1 minute.
- reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring now and then, till onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- when the onions are cooked stir in the mixture of spices, the fresh chile and the sugar.
- crumble the meat into the onion mixture and saute till meat is no longer pink.
- add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. season to taste with salt and continue to cook over low heat while the noodles boil.
- drain the noodles and toss with the sauce, serve immediately.
- this is very good topped with plain yogurt and/or feta cheese.