Recipe by DrGaellon
A lower-calorie, lower-fat version of a recipe I found on another site. You can use regular pork kielbasa, double the brown sugar and leave out the artificial sweetener to mimic the original recipe.
Top Review by EHinchey
Great! Made the higher fat version, and added 1 can of pineapple (omitted white sugar, figured it traded) and only had about an hour to simmer on the stove but was still wonderful with the changes. Thanks!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 0.5 (28 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa, cut into 1 inch pieces
- artificial sweetener, to equal 1/2 cup of sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Sauté onions until soft and translucent.
- Add brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. If using sucralose, acesulfame or saccharine, add it at this point also. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Put sausage in a slow cooker. Add sauce and onions. Cook on low 4-8 hours.
- If using aspartame, stir in just before serving.