1/1 Photo of Sweet and Sour Chicken
Becky in Southeastern, Mass's Note:
My mom used to make this when I was younger -- it was always a family favorite. Now, I make it for my boyfriend; he enjoys it better than the Chinese Restaurant versions. Be sure to season the chicken overnight -- it gives the chicken all its flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 whole skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 -5 eggs
- 1 1/2-3 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4-1 1/4 cup water
- 3 -4 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, in natural juice
- 1 large green pepper, cubed
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- maraschino cherry
- 1Season chicken chunks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- 2Refrigerate overnight.
- 3Heat oil in an electric frying pan or deep fryer.
- 4Mix batter ingredients until smooth.
- 5Mix bite-size pieces of meat with batter.
- 6Deep fry batter covered meat until golden brown (make sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly).
- 7Drain chicken pieces on a paper towel.
- 8Place cooked chicken in a low heat oven, while other chicken is being cooked.
- 9In a bowl, mix pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar& molasses.
- 10Place mixture, along with pineapples, peppers, and cherries, into a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- 11In a separate dish, mix together thickening ingredients.
- 12Add to saucepan.
- 13Stir and cook until glossy.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.0
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 219.8 mg
- Sodium 1609.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 33.4 g
- Protein 52.4 g