Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
By Maureen Petrosky of TheKitchn.com and published in the Sunday paper. The nutritional information will be wildly off, as you make far more syrup than you need for a single drink. You can use a vanilla, cherry or whipped cream vodka instead of plain vodka.
Cherry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup ripe cherries, pitted
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce cherry simple syrup, room temperature
- club soda
- fresh basil
- lemon wedge
- Syrup: In a small saucepan, heat the water, sgar and cherries until the sugar has completely melted.
- Using a potato masher, smash the cherries.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and cool over an ice bath, or in the fridge if making ahead.
- Drink: In a small jam jar filled with ice, add the vodka, lemon juice and cherry simple syrup. Place the lid on and shake.
- Remove the lid, fill with club soda and garnish as desired.
- Note:The author likes to serve from jelly jars. I would probably use a cocktail shaker and pour into a glass.