1/2 Photos of Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
2 hrs 30 mins
Michelle Berteig's Note:
A family favorite, I took bits and pieces from several recipes and tweaked it to our preferences. The first time I made this, I used the juice of 2 lemons, which was not enough, and probably 1 cup of brown sugar or a bit more, which was about right. In addition to the lemon juice, I added a bit of cider vinegar as well - the soup needed more of a sour taste. Turned out great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chuck roast or 3 lbs chuck steaks or 3 lbs beef short ribs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 -2 stalk celery, diced
- 28 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 3 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed beef consomme
- 1 cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 14 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 2 -3 lemons, juiced
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (or more)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1In a large soup pot or dutch oven, brown meat on all sides in olive oil under medium high heat. Season the meat with salt, pepper, or your favorite spices while cooking. When browned all over, remove the meat to a separate plate.
- 2Add the onion, parsnips, carrots and celery to the pot, plus a little more oil (if needed to prevent sticking). Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until browned and softened.
- 3Add in the can of stewed tomatoes, cutting up the large slices of tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- 4Add in the cans of beef consomme and 3 cans of water. You can also use beef broth or French onion soup as well.
- 5Place the meat back into the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for one hour.
- 6After one hour, add the cabbage and sauerkraut to the pot. Again, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low heat for another hour.
- 7After another hour has gone by, add the juice of 2 or 3 lemons to the soup and the brown sugar. You may need more of each to taste, the soup should definitely be sweet, and sour.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (506 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.4
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 89.8 mg
- Sodium 1212.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 34.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: