Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mother used to make this, ages and ages (probably a few decades) ago. I recently asked her to send me the recipe so that I could serve it at a reunion I hosted. It was every bit as good as I remember. Adapted from Mrs. Harry Gasarch as published in some synagogue sisterhood cookbook. Note: Other fruit may be used, including apples, blueberries, etc.
- Four cups of peaches is about five.
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Work in butter using a pastry knife until mixed with flour well.
- Mix egg yolk with milk and add to butter/flour mixture.
- Line a greased jelly roll pan (about 9x13") with the crust mixture (this freezes well - if you want to remove from the jelly roll pan after cooking, grease it, line with parchment, and then grease the parchment). I used a straight-sided glass to spread out the crust mixture, which ends up very thin.
- Mix the "for fruit" items well and sprinkle fruit items over fruit. Mix fruit and toppings well.
- Bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temp with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.