Recipe by Alskann
I found this recipe in the November 1995 issue of Bon Appetit. It is a moist, sweet cornbread that makes a nice accompaniment to breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is also delicious right out of the oven slathered in butter. You can prepare it a day ahead, just cool the bread completely, cover with foil and store at room temperature. This also makes yummy muffins.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
LOVE THIS CORNBREAD! It's so easy to make, & it tastes OUTSTANDING! Will definitely be a standard in my kitchen from now on! I usually serve cornbread with a honey butter, but this time I'd just made up some apricot butter from another Zaar chef, & it was a real treat! Thanks for the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe cooking game]
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until blended.
- Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Beat in 2 cups water and cornmeal.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl.
- Add to cornmeal mixture and stir until just blended. So not over mix, batter will be lumpy.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake 35 minutes or until bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Transfer dish to rack and cool cornbread slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.