Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up witih this recipe when I was in high school and just kept fiddling with it over the years. I've got it figured out where the whole family likes it very well. Sometimes we have this over Fritos and sprinkle shredded cheese and onions on top. I also like to have a little bit of mustard on top of mine. Sour cream's good on it, too!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (such as Rotel)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Cook ground beef in bottom of a large soup pot and drain off most grease.
- Add chopped onion to cook until softened.
- Add all other ingredients (do not drain any of the cans).
- Simmer 30 - 60 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Adjust spices to your taste.
This is a really great chili. It's been cold here in Ont. the last few days so this was a perfect dish for our dinner last night.