I like this recipe because it is pretty easy and I have gotten good results everytime I use it. It is adapted from a couple of different recipes. (This makes almost 2 cups of seasoning, I put what I have left in a jar or bottle and refrigerate)
- For the seasoned vinegar: Combine ingredients in a small sauce pan over med-low heat until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator.
- For the rice: Put 3 cups of rice in a large bowl and rinse until the water is clear.
- Drain the rice and add the 3 cups of cold water to a pot with a good-fitting lid.
- DO not cover the pot yet, though.
- Over high heat, bring to a simmer.
- Once the rice is simmering, cover rice and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook for 10 minutes without removing the pot lid at all.
- Turn heat down to the lowest setting and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Now, turn off the heat and let the rice sit in the pot ON the stove for 15 minutes.
- Turn the rice into a wooden, glass, or stainless steel bowl and sprinkle with 6 tbsp of seasoned vinegar.
- Mix the vinegar with the rice with a cutting motion being careful to only mix for about 5 minutes Max.
- Cover rice with a damp towel and allow to cool to room temperature.
- This rice is easiest to manipulate while it is room temperature or warmer.
- If you refrigerate the rice it gets harder to work, but you could save it for leftovers--just keep it covered with a damp cloth.
- This makes enough for about 10 rolls of Maki-sushi or 60 pieces of Nigiri-sushi.
Perfect! This was so easy....who knew? I made sushi last night and this rice worked so good. I was nervous about making them but with this recipe, everything is so clear in the instructions that you can't screw it up. Thank you for helping me with my all time favorite food.
Perfect sticky rice. Just like the restaurants. I especially appreciated the directions for cooking - gradually reducing the temperature. This will save us a truck-load of money, eating good sushi at home!
super simple, super to work with, and tastes exactly like it should!