1/2 Photos of Sushi Rice
gingerkitten D's Note:
I like this recipe because it is pretty easy and I have gotten good results everytime I use it. It is adapted from a couple of different recipes. (This makes almost 2 cups of seasoning, I put what I have left in a jar or bottle and refrigerate)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the seasoning
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/4 cup sea salt (you can use regular salt, but sea salt seems to dissolve better)
For the actual rice
- 1For the seasoned vinegar: Combine ingredients in a small sauce pan over med-low heat until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- 2Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator.
- 3For the rice: Put 3 cups of rice in a large bowl and rinse until the water is clear.
- 4Drain the rice and add the 3 cups of cold water to a pot with a good-fitting lid.
- 5DO not cover the pot yet, though.
- 6Over high heat, bring to a simmer.
- 7Once the rice is simmering, cover rice and reduce the heat to medium low.
- 8Cook for 10 minutes without removing the pot lid at all.
- 9Turn heat down to the lowest setting and cook for another 10 minutes.
- 10Now, turn off the heat and let the rice sit in the pot ON the stove for 15 minutes.
- 11Turn the rice into a wooden, glass, or stainless steel bowl and sprinkle with 6 tbsp of seasoned vinegar.
- 12Mix the vinegar with the rice with a cutting motion being careful to only mix for about 5 minutes Max.
- 13Cover rice with a damp towel and allow to cool to room temperature.
- 14This rice is easiest to manipulate while it is room temperature or warmer.
- 15If you refrigerate the rice it gets harder to work, but you could save it for leftovers--just keep it covered with a damp cloth.
- 16This makes enough for about 10 rolls of Maki-sushi or 60 pieces of Nigiri-sushi.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sushi Rice
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.2
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6981.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 141.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 24.9 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar