Recipe by Keith Bergen
This is an adaption of a recipe that I once found online, but have been unable to find it again.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 large egg white (lightly beaten)
- 40 chestnuts or 40 pecan halves (optional) or 40 pieces cheese (optional)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 8 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the beef, pork breadcrumbs, onion, parsley, marjoram, salt, sage, pepper, and egg white in a large bowl.
- Divide into about 40 pieces.
- Wrap each piece around the desired "surprise". (optional).
- Place the meatballs in a baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs are no longer pink.
- Whisk together the apple juice, brown sugar, wine, corn starch, soy sauce and garlic poweder.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes until thickened (stirring often).
- Drain meatballs.
- Place meatballs and sauce in a crockpot and simmer.
- Serve with cocktail forks or toothpicks.