Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This one just came to me. It was wonderful served with mashed potatoes and broccoli. Don't worry, the breading won't burn; let it get really dark and crispy. I know, bacon is the diet no-no, but there are only 3 strips in the whole thing. It adds such a nice old fashioned flavor, from the days when fat was okay to eat.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed and cleaned
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup bouquet garni or 1⁄2 cup italian seasoning
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low-fat cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups low-fat chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Render bacon in a large pan.
- Add onion and cook it down.
- While onion is cooking, beat eggs and some of the milk together to make an egg wash.
- Mix 1/2 of the Bouqet Garni with enough flour to bread all the chicken.
- Remove onions and bacon from pan, leave grease in pan to fry chicken.
- Flour chicken.
- Dip in egg wash.
- Flour again, coat well.
- Fry chicken in pan, add oil if needed.
- Brown very well on both sides.
- Put chicken into 350°F oven to finish cooking.
- Return onions and bacon to pan.
- Add soup, stock, the rest of the milk, the rest f the Bouquet Garni and garlic Stir vigorously until a gravy forms.
- Serve gravy as a side dish to chicken.
Delicious, however, the bacon in this recipe is not the only thing to worry about. I felt the gravy needed a little more thickening at the end so added more cornstarch.