Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was starving after church today and thought of this on the way home, based on what I knew I had in the pantry. It's easy and quick and we all enjoyed it with homemade tortilla chips from the oven.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (more if you like)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- sour cream, grated cheese or avocado, for topping if you like
- In a medium - large saucepan, heat olive oil on medium heat (not warmer). Add the minced garlic, onion and cumin. Slowly saute until fragrant and beginning to get limp. Add the remaining spices, beans and tomatoes. I intended to drain the beans, but forgot. I thought that might have been a mistake, but it was just fine. Simmer the soup for 20 minutes or so. Dish up and enjoy! Top with sour cream, grated cheese or avocado if you like.