Recipe by Fluffy McDunlop
A ground beef chilli recipie for the heat lovers! You can add more chillies if you desire, sometimes a bit more ghost chilli to get your chilli fix! The smokiness of the smoked paprika and chipotle chilli are essential!
- 250 g beef mince
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml beef stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil (I use olive oil or sunflower oil)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 dried ghost chile (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 medium green chilies (chopped with seeds)
- 2 medium red chilies (chopped with seeds)
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder (or equivalent whole chillies or other dried smoked chilli)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 400 g kidney beans (drained and washed)
- 200 g basmati rice
- jalapeno (to serve)
- grated cheddar cheese (to serve)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef mince in a heavy based sauce pan, transfer to a fine mesh sieve to drain excess fat.
- Add half the oil and sauté onions till soft and translucent, then add the fresh chillies and turn up the heat to get some colour on the onions.
- Turn down the heat and add the remaining oil and dryry ingredients except for the oregano, cook for around 30seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, garlic, oregano, dried chilli and drained mince. Cook over a medium heat till the mixture looses some of it moisture,around 10mins then re-hydrate with some the beef stock, add salt and pepper to taste and simmer with the lid on for ideally 45-60mins. Stirring every 10mins, if the chilli become too dry just top up with beef stock.
- Cook basmati rice to packet instructions.
- Then add the kidney beans to the chilli and continue to cook with the lid off for a further 10mins or untill the chilli is to the consistency you like.
- Serve with basmati and topped with some jalapeño slices and grated cheddar.