Recipe by DragonFly2
This is not authentic General Tso's Chicken, but it's a recipe I developed and it tastes quite similar. It's easy and requires no "odd" ingredients. You can either batter your chicken before adding to the sauce or just stir-fry your plain chicken, it's up to you. This makes plenty of sauce- I don't like dry General Tso's. After reading several reviews, I would just like to add that I must use VERY mild hot sauce, because I am definitely NOT someone who likes super-hot stuff and several have complained that it's too hot. I would have to say that it probably varies according to your brand of hot sauce, so be warned! :-)
Top Review by joyjoy #2
This was very good and very fast! I marinated chicken in egg whites and cornstarch then dusted it in cornstarch and fried. I was out of Tabasco so I used 3 Tbs of Chili sauce (the oriental kind) and followed everything else. It was good! It was hot but we like it hot! This is a diffenate keeper-
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons hot sauce (tobasco)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, in 4 tbs water to thicken
- 1 (16 ounce) packageof frozen Chinese vegetables, cooked to package directions
- 4 cups cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the soy sauce, water, hot sauce, sugar, boullion, and ginger in a saucepan and heat until boiling. Cut the heat down and simmer while you prepare the chicken.
- Take your chicken and cut into bite-size cubes. Now, at this point you can either use a boxed batter mix to add a coating on it (and deep-fry according to the box mix), or you can just stir-fry your plain chicken in a little oil until thoroughly cooked.
- Going back to your sauce, use the cornstarch in water to thicken it. Then add your cooked chicken. If you battered your chicken, it's ready to eat (don't leave the battered chicken too long before eating or it will get soggy). If you stir-fried plain chicken, use this time to simmer it awhile and prepare your veggies and rice.
- Serve this chicken over the veggies and rice.