Prep 1 min
Cook 10 mins
You have two choices here: Either refrigerate this as a Ganache and use it to make truffles or to frost cakes, or opt to add a couple more ingredients and turn it into a delicious creamy chocolate Italian ice cream (aka Gelato). Enjoy cocktails? try Morta De Chocolata Gelatini (Death by Chocolate Martini) using the gelato from this recipe. :)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or Kahlua)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Place heavy cream, butter, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until just simmering and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate and vanilla extract. Stir well until smooth and chocolate is melted through.
- FOR GANACHE: Let cool, stirring occasionally. When cooled completely, refrigerate until needed. You can make truffles by scooping out little melon-sized balls of ganache and roll in coconut, cocoa powder, or chopped nuts. To make cake icing, beat mixture until thick and creamy, to your desired spreading consistency.
- FOR GELATO: Let cool, stirring occasionally. When cooled to room temperature, add eggs and milk, whisking to incorporate. Return to a medium heat and cook, while continuing to stir or gently whisk, until warmed up again.
- Remove from heat and let cool, stirring occasionaly. When cooled to room temperature, place in a freezer container and freeze for at least 2 hrs before serving.
Holy chocolate nirvana. Twenty stars. Made the gelato and it was just delightful. Very creamy. Will make again, but not often as this is ultra-decadent. Followed directions with no changes and this recipe is just a winner. Thanks for a great one!
This was awsome!! i needed a ganache for my cake topping,& this worked wonderfully, i had some left over & made truffles with it, I have never made truffles & surprised myself. thanks so much.
Great for kids with a chocolate addition, young and old. I made this as a gelato. Used vanilla extract also as an option. Great taste and flavors. Glad that everyone saved one for me. Made for PRMR tag.