Modified recipe by Janice Newell, posted May 24, 2012, on the Daily Meal -- All things food & drink!
- 3 large sweet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (freshly ground, a few grinds!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 large Granny Smith apples (cored and cubed)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup pecans (toasted and chopped coarsely)
- In a medium-hot iron skillet, stirring constantly, toast pecans until fragrant ~ be careful they don't burn! Set aside to cool, then chop coarsely.
- NOTE: (I microwaved my sweet potatoes in their skins!).
- Or ~ Place sweet potatoes in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover. Cover saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook at a low boil until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, transfer to large bowl, and let cool, about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the vinegar, orange juice, maple syrup, mustard, salt, pepper, and cinnamon in a bowl. Slowly whisk in canola oil until well blended. Set aside.
- Add the apple, dried cranberries, and pecans to the sweet potatoes. Toss gently with the dressing. Serve warm or chilled.