Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Delicious and different for snacking or gifts. Easy to make. Requires a candy thermometer for best results. If you use roasted seeds, omit 1/2 of the salt.
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn syrup
- 2 cups sunflower seeds, raw
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter the sides of a large heavy saucepan. Add sugar, corn syrup and water; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 260 degrees (hard-ball stage).
- Stir in sunflower seeds and butter. Cook on medium to 300 degree (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; vigorously stir in vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour into a buttered 15x10x1" baking pan; spread evenly to fill pan. Cool completely.
- Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers to prevent sticking.