Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Make a great Sunday meal.
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf, finely crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (4 -5 lb) bone-in pork loin roast
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 1⁄3 cups cold water, divided
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- Combine 2 tablespoons flour, salt, pepper, bay leaf and thyme; rub over entire roast.
- Place roast with fat side up in a shallow roasting pan and arrange vegetables around the roast, then pour 2 cups cold water into pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours, basting with pan juices every 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove roast to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Strain pan drippings, reserving the broth; discard vegetables.
- Add water to the broth to measure 1-2/3 cups. Return to pan.
- Combine remaining flour and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with the roast.