Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
In ‘Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible’
Make and share this Sunday Baked Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, halved
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, halved crosswise
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mash together the butter, ½ tsp black pepper, the thyme and the paprika.
- Sprinkle the chicken inside and out with the salt and the remaining ½ tsp black pepper.
- Rub the chicken all over with the butter mixture, spreading it as evenly as possible so the chicken will brown evenly.
- Scatter the potatoes, carrots, and garlic in the bottom of a large roasting pan.
- Top the vegetables with a roasting rack.
- Place the chicken on the rack, breast side up.
- Roast, stirring the vegetables occasionally, until the chicken is golden, the thigh juices run clear when pierced with a knife, or the temperature registers 180 degrees in the thigh, about 1 ½ hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes before carving.
- Serve with the vegetables and pan juices.