1/4 Photos of Sun-Dried Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Rice Balls
This is a flavourful alternative to plain rice and makes a meal much more interesting. Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 large basil leaves
- 1/3 cup rehydrated sun-dried tomato, finely diced
For the tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cups passata (tomato puree)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Pour the stock into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil. Add the rice, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is cooked through and the liquid has been absorbed.
- 2Meanwhile, finely chop the basil leaves. Finely dice the yellow pepper. Peel and finely dice the onion. Set aside, keeping the basil separate from the onion and pepper.
- 3When the rice is done, uncover it and put the whole pan in a sink of cold water to cool the rice.
- 4While the rice cools, put the olive oil and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the yellow pepper and garlic. Cook around 5 minutes, until soft.
- 5Add the passata to the skillet with the onion and pepper. Turn the heat to low. Give the passata mixture a chance to simmer and thicken slightly.
- 6While it simmers, make the rice balls- add the cheese, egg yolk, flour, tomato paste, basil leaves and sundried tomatoes to the cooled rice. Stir it together well.
- 7Shape the rice mixture into about 16 balls and place them on top of the sauce. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes, until the rice balls are cooked through.
- 8Serve hot, sprinkled with parmesan cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sun-Dried Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Rice Balls
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.9
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 105.1 mg
- Sodium 1434.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 22.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: