Recipe by Sharon123
This is a refreshing chilled soup that combines the best of summer in one bowl and is topped off with a cooling sauce. Accompany it with grilled or toasted crusty bread. From Cooking Pleasures magazine.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
Made as written and yummy! Used fresh herbs from the garden, too. For the sauce I chose whole cumin seeds and a few were scattered on top of the yogurt and then added a few strands of saffron. Beautiful presentation that way! Served with cornbread. Very good! Will make again! Reviewed for Veg Tag/July.
- 946.36 ml chopped ripe tomatoes (about 4 medium)
- 236.59 ml cucumber, peeled, finely diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced (or green)
- 118.29 ml sweet onion, finely diced (or green onions)
- 59.14 ml celery, finely diced
- 2 radishes, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chili, minced (optional, for those that like heat)
- 59.14 ml chopped mixed fresh herbs (basil, tarragon and or or chives)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground pepper
- 0.59 ml crushed saffron thread (I substitute marigold leaves)
- 473.18 ml water
- 177.44 ml tomato juice (or V-8)
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar (or sherry or red wine)
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely minced
- 4.92 ml fresh lime juice (or lemon)
- 1.23 ml ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together all gazpacho ingredients. Cover and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients; refrigerate until ready to serve. Drizzle soup with sauce; pass remaining sauce.
- Remove the veins and seeds in the serrano chile for a milder flavor.