Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 11 mins
From Like Grandma Used To Make by Reader's Digest, c. 1996. Cooking time includes chilling time.
Make and share this Summer Corn and Cabbage Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 3 medium fresh ears of corn or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 medium sweet pepper (red, green or yellow)
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, bring 2 quarts lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Carefully add fresh ears of corn; return to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 6 to 8 minutes or until corn is tender (Or, cook the frozen corn according to package directions.) Drain corn well. When fresh corn is cool enough to handle, cut off corn kernels. Hold an ear of corn at an angle so that one end rests on cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut down across tips of kernels toward board. Repeat with remaining ears.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, cabbage, sweet pepper, and celery. To prepare the dressing, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard, salt, and black pepper. Cover; shake well. Pour dressing over corn mixture. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. To serve, spoon the salad onto leaf lettuce, if desired.
Nice refreshing salad. I made it today, and only marinated it for 2 hours. Very nice!
This recipe has lots of ingredients that I love, and is very colorful. The dressing turned out a bit strange. I'm not giving this any stars because I used 1 1/2 tbsp honey, and I think that it may have been too much. The end result is that it tasted like cough syrup. But before adding the dressing, I absolutely loved the combination. I'd add a little chopped green onion next time, eliminate the honey and lemon juice, and add some balsamic vinegar and sugar. The basic mix is good, but somehow my dressing just turned out off. Made for Newest Zaar tag.