Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Just threw it all in the crockpot, we'll see! Didn't want to go to the store today. Easy, cheep and good for you!
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 4 bell peppers (i like to roast mine)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (or 3 fresh, less sodium)
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb (today rosemary)
- 1 garlic clove (what the heck add some more)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 9 cups water
- soak beans over night, discard water. Chop all ingredients and put in crockpot with beans and fresh water. Go to work, come home and eat!
I give this recipe 5 stars because one, it's so easy. I asked my husband to dice the sweet peppers while I seasoned the beans and chopped the tomatoes. We decided to buy speck and a few dashes of cayenne pepper to add a little extra oomph. Secondly I give it 5 stars because my husband and I loved it so much, this is definitely a summer soup because it was so light and very flavorful...Nom!
This is definitely an easy and inexpensive meal that is also tasty and healthy! I chopped up 8 basil leaves and used 1 teaspoon herbes de provence, plus fire-roasted tomatoes and 3 cloves of garlic. My crock pot was full to the brim with only 6 cups of water, so my soup came out thicker than intended. Unsure how long or what power to set my crockpot at, I cooked on high for 8 hours. Reviewed for PAC Fall '11.