Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of the few good vegetarian pad thai recipes I've found. Originally from a post on Allrecipes.com
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 12 ounces dried rice noodles (1 package)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 eggs
- 12 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground peanuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground dried oriental radish
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Begin soaking rice noodles in cold water.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and tamarind pulp.
- Heat sauce over medium to low heat until pulp is dissolved.
- Drain noodles once they become soft.
- Over medium-high heat, warm up a large wok, add and heat up the oil, add garlic and eggs, and cook until eggs are scrambled.
- Add tofu and stir until mixed.
- Add noodles and continue stirring until noodles are cooked.
- Stir in sauce, the 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar, and salt until mixed.
- Stir in peanuts and ground radish.
- Remove from heat and stir in chives and paprika.
- Serve and garnish with bean sprouts and lime.