Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another variation of Sugar Pie. I found this recipe in DH's grandmother's recipe box and wanted to post it for safekeeping, as the card has seen better days. ZWT 3: U.S. (a variation on Pecan Pie), France, and Canada
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter (see note below)
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Combine all ingredients and pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 400° F until it raises and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- (8/14/06: I made this pie for the first time today and baked it for 50 minutes. It did not look quite set, but after I let it cool for a half hour it cut beautifully. It could take 45-60 minutes depending on your oven).
- Note: original recipe called for butter the size of a walnut---I researched it and found this to mean 1 ounce, or 2 tbsp, of butter.
This came together very well. The flavour is really nice too. I think that this recipe has great opportunity but isn't quite perfect (in my opinion). I am looking forward to "experimenting" with it a little more! Thanks!
This is a very easy pie to make!!! I made 2 - the 1st I just put everything in the mixer & did it up. The butter didn't incorporate very well, so for the 2nd pie, I creamed the butter & sugar 1st. You can see the difference in the pictures but the taste was the same - yummy w/a slight custardy flavor but a bit too sweet for me.