Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a slight variation on another sugar cookie recipe I got out of a magazine. The original recipe called for more flour than I used because that recipe was for roll out cookies, this recipe makes drop cookies. If you want to make roll out cookies, use 2 cups flour instead of 1 1/4 cup. For a different flavor (besides vanilla), try using almond or butter extract (same amount).
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream butter and sugar in bowl until fluffy.
- Add egg and mix until well blended.
- Mix in baking powder and extract.
- Add flour by 1/4 cup at a time. This makes mixing a lot easier, and is better if working with children. If batter is slightly too thin, add flour by teaspoonfuls until desired texture is attained.
- Drop cookies onto baking sheet by tablespoonfuls. These tend to spread out a lot, so it may be best to only put 6-8 on each baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.
Quick. Simple. Delicious. Try adding lemon zest!
I needed a simple recipe for my 3year old granddaughter and I to make quickly to stop her tears. They were yummy and so easy. We added cinnamon and cardamom and rolled them in more sugar and cinnamon before baking. Yummy
I absolutely love this recipe! I did modify it though: I used an extra 1/4 flour and added an extra 1/2 tsp of baking powder. The cookies didn't spread too much and ended up moist and round (instead of flat, as most cookies end up)! Also, I didn't do any whipping or folding of ingredients, I just mixed it all up an edit works fine!