Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I know, I know.....5 million stuffed zucchini recipes, and I had to post another. Well this one is different then the others. Actually, this is the very first 'stuffed' recipe I ever tried. I'd just gone back to work after having the kids, and came across Betty Crocker's 'Working Woman's Cookbook'. What a gem this book is. Anyway, getting back to the zucchini....this is very tasty, and easy to put together. The best part, is you can prepare it up to 24 hours ahead of time. Just what working people need.
- 3 zucchini, 1-1/2 lbs
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, diced
- 1 cup herb stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat 2 inches of salted water to boiling. Add zucchini. Cover and heat to boiling. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or just until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp and set aside. Place zucchini in a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender. Add chopped pulp, green peppers, pimiento and stuffing mix. Mix together and use to stuff the zucchini halves. Sprinkle each with shredded cheese.
- To serve immediately:.
- Bake uncovered in a 350* oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until hot and cheese is melted.
- To serve the next day:.
- After stuffing, cover and refrigerate no longer than 24 hours. When ready to serve, Remove dish from fridge 40 minutes before cooking. Bake at 350* for 30 - 35 minutes.
My oh my another wonderful stuffed zucchini recipe that I am putting into my Favorites of 2012. I followed the instructions as written only like Andi I did add just a few more veggies. The herb stuffing made this sooo flavorful and DH yummmed all the way through his dinner. Thank you for posting. Made for May Tag Game ~ El Calabacin ~ Zucchini 2012.
We are not really great fans of zucchini, but this one turned out very tasty indeed. Needed to improvise for the lack of herb stuffing mix, used 1 cup dry bread crumbs and added 1 chicken stock cube, 1 ts poultry seasoning, 1/2 ts each basil, rosemary and tarragon. Voila, very good!
110 million loved!! Good ol' Betty Crocker, I swear, you cannot go wrong with any of those recipes, and this is not exception. I followed exactly, except added 1/2 cup herb stuffing mix, and 2 tablespoons more of veggies each. Loved the use of the added pulp, made the stuffing so tasty without the use of added liquids. Will make often and again! Made for *Diabetic Forum Tag Seasonal Veggies* March 2010