Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Use the suggested ingredients for the filling or go wild with your imagination. The crust is easily made in the breadmaker and the filling may be made in advance to save time. Standing time not included in preparation time.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained and sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (canned is fine, but fresh is better)
- If using the breadmaker, place the wet ingredients in the pan, followed by the dry ingredients; set to dough cycle and allow to run.
- If not using the breadmaker, dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water.
- Add shortening, sugar and salt.
- Stir in 2 cups flour.
- Add enough more flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, working in more flour as needed.
- Divide dough into thirds; cover and set one third to the side.
- Roll the remaining two-thirds into a 14 inch circle.
- Brush a 12 inch, two-inch deep pizza pan lightly with oil.
- Press dough evenly over bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and crumble into the crust (it doesn't need precooking).
- Saute onion and green pepper in 1 tablespoon of oil until tender.
- Stir in salt; sprinkle vegetables over the sausage.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and mushrooms.
- For the topping, saute tomatoes and spices for ten minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with a fork.
- Roll out remaining one-third of dough into a 12 inch circle.
- Set over the filling in the pan.
- Crimp edges of top and bottom crust together to seal well.
- Prick the top crust all over with a fork.
- Spread tomato sauce over the top and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 425F for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Let stand ten minutes before serving.
* * * MADE FOR MY 3 CHEFS FALL 2008 * * * WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! This was fantastic! It lived up to all my expectations and then some. The only changes I made were I left out the green peppers, just a preference things. I HIGHLY recommend EVERYONE try this recipe! The crust is perfect. I used Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage. Like Molly says, use your imagination on this. It is great. Thanks for posting such a great recipe.