Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a SUPER easy (and healthy) recipe that is sure to satisfy. For a twist on the traditional stuffed bell pepper, This layered casserole is great on it's own, with chips, or in tortillas. Enjoy!
- 3 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup rice (brown, uncooked)
- 1 (20 ounce) package lean ground turkey
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans (prepared are best)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
taco seasoning (or use 1 packet taco seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Simmer the garlic with a small amount (2 t) of oil and proceed to brown the ground turkey in a large skillet (you'll be adding other ingredients to it). Add taco seasoning or spices while the meat is still raw.
- Cook rice by adding 2 cups water. It's OK if it's a bit harder than normal because it will cook more in the casserole.
- Prepare 9 x 13 casserole dish by spraying and lining bottom of the pan with pieces of bell pepper. I cut the peppers so that they lie mostly flat, inside facing up.
- Once the meat has browned, add the WHOLE can of black beans, but drain the tomatoes. ***If you do not have prepared black beans, use plain cooked beans and add 1/3 cup water to the mixture to keep it from drying out.
- Mix a couple scoops of rice to the mixture, then pour remaining rice in the casserole dish, on top of the peppers.
- Pour the skillet mixture over the rice.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. I like to add 1/4 cup water half way through baking to make sure the peppers steam without getting too mushy.
- To serve, sprinkle with your favorite cheese, salsa, fresh tomatoes, onions, lettuce, jalapenos -- .