Recipe by MA HIKER
An abundant harvest of patty pan squash led me to this recipe elsewhere on the internet. Very tasty! and I cooked a full package of bacon so my picky eaters could have BLTs while I enjoyed this! BTW I use Easy Microwave Bacon to cook my bacon (see my notes in my review for details).
Top Review by MilanzMom
Ma Hiker: Your pattypan squash recipe should get a 10 (not just a little old 5!). My family LOVED this recipe and it could not be easier! Squash is a favorite in my family and when I found these little space ship looking things at the farmer's market, I just had to try them. Thanks for posting such a great recipe!
- 6 pattypan squash, stem and blossom removed (or 3 larger squash)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bring one inch of water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until a fork can pierce the stem with little resistance.
- Drain, and slice off the top stem of the squash. Use a melon baller to carefully scoop out the centers of the squash. Reserve all of the bits of squash. (I used larger squash so discarded the seeds - warning the squash is very liquidy in the center so I drained it a bit after scooping.
- Mince the reserved squash.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl with the minced squash, mixing well.
- Stuff each squash to overflowing with the mixture, and place them in a baking dish. Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until squash are heated through.