Recipe by Kevin Young
Delicious vegetarian stuffed onion recipe, the feta and sun dried tomatoes go together so well with the onion. I like to splash Tabasco on top after they're done but it's a good recipe either way.
- 4 large sweet onions
- 6 ounces crumbled feta
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 12 ounces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil (large enough to fit both onions).
- Place the onions in the pot and boil about 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Cut the onions in half and peel the outer layer, cutting off the ends.
- Remove the inner layers of the onions, leaving the 3 outer layers (you can leave more or less depending on the thickness, it just needs to be strong enough to hold the stuffing).
- Chop the removed layers of the onion and place in a mixing bowl with the feta, breadcrumbs, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, cilantro and egg.
- Mix well and and salt and pepper.
- Divide the stuffing and place inside the outer layers of the onions, placing onions in an oiled dish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake in oven 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and return dish to over an additional 45 minutes.
- Remove onions and serve.