Recipe by MarieRynr
These onions are delicious and impressive. The recipe comes from a Junior League Cookbook, "I'll Cook When Pigs Fly".
- 6 medium onions
- salt water, to cover
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup chopped black olives
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut thick slice from the top and scoop center from each onion.
- Set aside.
- (I find using a melon scoop the easiest way to remove the centers) Place in saucepan with salted water and cook for 25 minutes.
- Drain shells well, and brush each with oil.
- Sprinkle generously with paprika.
- Chop reserved onion.
- Cook in 1/4 cup butter until tender.
- Stir in parsley, half and half, olives, walnuts, cheese and salt, mixing well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared onion shells and place in a shallow baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and 1 TBS butter, melted.
- Sprinkle on top of onions.
- Bake at 350*F for 15 minutes.