Recipe by Annz Recipez
I made this up when I had an abundance of fresh garden veggies I needed to use up one night. My sister had given me some white eggplant and told me it was good for stuffing, so I threw some things together and it turned out wonderful! If you want meat, you can add ground beef or sausage or even chopped leftover meat. Sometimes I cover them with foil and freeze, then when I need a quick meal for myself, I take one out, remove the foil, microwave and voila! I have a quick, yummy, and healthy individual meal.
- 1 medium white eggplant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 green chili peppers or 1⁄2 a green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 tablespoons other fresh herbs, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh in the center until you have just a shell about 1/2-inch thick. Set the shells aside.
- Chop up the eggplant you scooped out into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the chopped eggplant, onion, garlic, and pepper.
- Saute until the onion is clear and soft and the eggplant is cooked through.
- Add the tomato and basil or fresh herbs saute a few minutes longer.
- Add the breadcrumbs and about 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir well. The mixture should hold together well. If not, add a few more breadcrumbs and/or cheese.
- Scoop the stuffing mixture into the eggplant shells. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 - 25 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted.