Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
From: Sandra Lee, "Semi-Homemade" - Food Network I made this for company on Christmas Day 2005. It was in a word, OUTSTANDING and impressive! It was very easy to throw together and serve. I had the butcher prepare the roast and tie it. It does serve a crowd so be prepared to entertain! IMO you need about 1-2 rib (chop) per person. When you carve it up you end up with what looks like a pork chop. I cannot wait to make this again. I served up a fancy salad, rolls, boiled baby carrots with parsley butter and fresh cranberry orange relish. YUM! If you are sensitive to salt, try to use low sodium options.
- 5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ounce green peppercorn, marinade mix Knorr Brand
- 1 ounce good seasons zesty italian garlic & herb salad dressing mix
- 7 -8 lbs pork crown roast, 1 rib per person
- 4 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 (1 ounce) package Lipton onion mushroom dry soup mix
- 16 ounces fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 6 cups sourdough croutons, made from loaf of fresh bread
- salt (optional)
- pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Crown Roast:.
- In a (*mixing bowl) shallow roasting pan, combine the Worcestershire sauce, green peppercorn marinade mix, and herb seasoning mix.
- Place the crown roast into roasting pan, bone ends up. Wrap the bone ends with aluminum foil to prevent them from browning too quickly.
- Using a pastry brush or spoon, coat the entire meat surface with the sauce mixture.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the oven and roast uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes per pound of meat, about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. Adjust time according to the size of roast.
- Sourdough Dressing:.
- This step can be made ahead.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the sausages until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion mushroom soup mix, broth, and golden mushroom soup. Stir in the thyme, marjoram, parsley, and croutons. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the roast from the oven about 45 minutes before it is done. Fill the cavity with the sourdough dressing. Return the roast to the oven and cook for the remaining 45 minutes.
- Transfer the crown roast to a platter and replace the foil with paper frills.
- Cut between the ribs and plate.
- Any extra stuffing can be baked separately.