Recipe by twissis
From *The Essential Caribbean Cookbook* edited by Heather Thomas, this dessert is untried but I found it esp appealing as it is an ingredient-friendly + make-ahead & no-cook quick-fix that takes only minutes to serve. I saw this as ideal for a light dessert finale to an otherwise heavy meal when served w/a scoop of frozen vanilla jogurt & made that a part of the recipe as a pers pref. (Time does not include chill time) *Enjoy* !
Top Review by weekend cooker
Since I have 2 teenage kids, I adjusted the recipe for them, with the rum, but used the rum for the DS and I. For the kids, I replaced the rum with some softened honey mixed with a tad of brown sugar, and for us, I used a tablespoon of rum. The rum worked out better, as for the honey, definately had to be diluted a bitdue to the thickness of the honey. I am only reviewig this, and judging this on the recipe posted with the rum though. The raisins worked out well, and we enjoyed this dessert as posted (DS and I). Very nice and quick. Made for your Football Pool win.
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 bananas (large & semi-ripe)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cashews (chopped, may sub another nut of choice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put raisins in a sml bowl w/2 tbsp of the rum & set aside to plump.
- Peel bananas. Cut ea banana in half lengthwise & then in half crosswise. Place banana sections in a bowl w/the lime juice to prevent discoloration & set aside.
- Beat the butter & sugar together in a bowl till the mixture is smooth & creamy. Add the remaining rum & beat thoroughly. Fold the chopped cashews into the butter mixture.
- Carefully scoop out a cavity down the center of ea banana section about 1/2-in deep & fill it w/the nut & butter mixture. Place filled banana sections in a dish lrg enough to hold them in a single layer. Sprinkle w/the raisins & drizzle any rum not absorbed over them.
- Chill for at least 2-3 hrs b4 serving 2 banana sections to ea person along side a 1/4 cup scoop of vanilla yogurt.