Recipe by CRosa
Tart Granny Smith apples and nutmeg are key to giving this pie a tangy flavor. This recipe is very easy to make, yet produces a quality apple pie. Best served warm with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with warm caramel sauce is nice too.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell, frozen, preferably a name brand
- 3 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees with a cookie sheet on the center rack. Mix peeled and sliced apples in a large bowl with sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
- Pour apple mixture into frozen pie crust.
- Make the streusel crumb topping by mixing together with a fork in a medium bowl the flour, cinnamon, and light brown sugar. Then mix in the softened butter with a fork, stirring and blending until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Top the pie with the crumb topping, place on the cookie sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until the crust is a deep golden brown and the filling bubbles.
- Remove from oven, cool 30 minutes and serve warm with ice cream and caramel ice cream topping drizzled over pie, if desired.