Southern Living Granny Smith Apple Pie
This is the most amazing apple pie I have ever made and it is super easy! The filling comes out moist and gooey and has the perfect blend of spices. Perfect for a cool Fall evening! (This is a Southern Living recipe)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1.5 (15 ounce) packages refrigerated pie crusts, divided
- 6 medium granny smith apples, peeled and sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Unroll and stack 2 pie crusts; gently roll or press together.
- Fit pastry into a 9 inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Toss together apples and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, and next 3 ingredients; sprinkle over apple mixture and toss to coat.
- Spoon into prepared pie crust.
- Unroll and place remaining pie crust over filling.
- Fold edges under, and crimp; cut slits in top for steam to escape. (I also cover the crimped edges of my crust with foil to prevent burning).
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for 30-35 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this recipe and it was a hit! I used the double bottom crust and it was worth it. My only addition was a quarter cup of salted butter to the filling. I will make again! I used a 3 lb bag of granny smith apples..I want to emphasize I am Not a baker and this was easy to do. Thank you for this great recipe!Reply
see 16 more