Since there are only two of us in the house (well only 2 humans), I don't like to make desserts because there's SO MUCH. So when I came across this recipe I had to try it. It was delicious and the portions were just perfect for us. From Cooking For Two 2009, America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1For the shortcakes, use first 8 ingredients: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees with the rack in the middle position. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- 2In a food processor, mix the flour, 5 teaspoons of sugar, the baking powder, and salt until combined (about 3 pulses) then add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal (about 15 pulses).
- 3Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Whisk the half-and-half and the whole egg together then mix into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until large clumps form. The recipe indicates that using regular milk is ok but not as rich as the half-and-half and that using heavy cream makes the cakes too dense.
- 4Turn the mixture onto a floured board and shape the dough into two circles about 2-1/2 inches in diameter and about 1 inch thick.
- 5Brush the tops with the egg white. Then sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- 6Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, turning the pan halfway through cooking.
- 7Cool on wire wrack.
- 8For the fruit use the next 2 ingredients: Crush 3/4 cup (about 3.75 ounces) of the strawberries with a potato masher in a medium bowl. Slice the remaining strawberries and fold them into the crushed berries, along with the sugar. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- 9For the whipped cream use the last 3 ingredients:.
- 10Whip the cream, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium spead until frothy -- about 1 minute. Then turn to high and whip to soft peaks, 1-3 minutes. Of course, store bought whipped cream will work, too.
- 11To serve: Slice the shortcake horizontally. Place some of the strawberries on the bottom half, put a dollop or two of whipped cream on the strawberries and top with the other half of the short cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Shortcakes for 2 (America's Test Kitchen)
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.2
- Calories from Fat 385
- Total Fat 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat 25.6 g
- Cholesterol 226.6 mg
- Sodium 415.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 32.4 g
- Protein 11.7 g