Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These muffins are delicious. You can use other types of berries other than the strawberries. ***note, I'm not responsible for the taste of the muffins if one substitutes oil for the butter.
- Heat oven to 425°; grease 12 muffin cups.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; stir in the milk, egg and butter, stirring only enough to dampen all the flour, the batter should not be smooth.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Press strawberry slices into the batter, pointed side up; sprinkle each muffin with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake until golden, 15-18 minutes.
I just made these yesterday. I had to double the recipe because I needed 24 muffins and on the suggestion of other raters, I used more sugar in the batter and on top of the muffins than what the recipe called for and they came out great. They were crumbly and not too sweet as shortcake should be. I took these to work today and everyone liked them. They already asked me to make more. Thanks for the recipe. PS If you plan on making these, don't use paper cupcake liners because they stick to the paper (even when cooled). :)
We liked these a lot, but we did think that the batter needed just a bit more sugar and the topping less. DD made them as directed, but only used about 1/8 c sugar on the tops. They were super moist and light. DD said she will make them again, but will use the additional 1/8 c sugar in the batter rather than on the tops. Super easy to make which is always a plus! Thank you!
These muffins are very unique! I was afraid they wouldn't be sweet enough for me, but they were just perfect. The sugar sprinkled over the top gave them a crunchy, sweet topping that really completed the experience, and the strawberries poking out of the top made them very attractive. I think I overfilled them a little bit. It looked like they were 2/3 full, but I only ended up with 9, and after I pushed the strawberries into the batter they were overflowing their tops! But that doesn't bother me, because I still have 9 huge, delicious muffins to enjoy. Thanks for another keep, Jude!