Recipe by Hey Jude
These muffins are delicious. You can use other types of berries other than the strawberries. ***note, I'm not responsible for the taste of the muffins if one substitutes oil for the butter.
Top Review by xdc421
I just made these yesterday. I had to double the recipe because I needed 24 muffins and on the suggestion of other raters, I used more sugar in the batter and on top of the muffins than what the recipe called for and they came out great. They were crumbly and not too sweet as shortcake should be. I took these to work today and everyone liked them. They already asked me to make more. Thanks for the recipe. PS If you plan on making these, don't use paper cupcake liners because they stick to the paper (even when cooled). :)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 12 strawberries, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425°; grease 12 muffin cups.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; stir in the milk, egg and butter, stirring only enough to dampen all the flour, the batter should not be smooth.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Press strawberry slices into the batter, pointed side up; sprinkle each muffin with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake until golden, 15-18 minutes.