Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Yahoo Group files
- Combine the rhubarb, berries, the split vanilla bean and a cup of the sugar in a large, non reactive pot. Stir until the sugar has drawn some
- liquid out of the berries and then turn the heat onto medium low.
- Cook over medium low heat, stirring regularly, until the pieces of rhubarb and strawberries have broken down. At this point, reduce the heat even further and let the butter simmer over very low heat.
- When the butter has reduced to about half its original volume, taste it.
- Adjust the sugar to taste, adding up to another half cup.
- Cook until the sugar has dissolved into the butter.
- Remove the butter from the heat. Fish the vanilla bean pieces out and put them aside.
- Fill your prepared jars leaving a 1/4" headspace. Process filled jars in
- a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Adjust time according to your altitude.
This was soooo easy! I used my slow cooker and it took about half the day but I was able to run brief errands and do other things which was great. I used a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract instead of vanilla bean because they are so expensive, but it would probably be a 5 Star if I had used the bean. I love the concentrated flavor and that it's not as sugary as jam and jelly. Thank You!