Recipe by internetnut
Exchanges: 1 fat, 1 starch, 1 carb. Carb Choices: 2. This came from Diabetic Living magazine. I have not tried this, just posting for safe keeping.
Top Review by criticaloutcast
I liked these. i made two rounds of them. First time going by the recipe, modified a touch the second time. The second batch mixed the strawberries/marmalade mix right into the batter, felt it got a better flavor trough the cupcake upon baking (first time the fruit mix seemed to get pushed out byt the rising batter). I also used strawberry greek yogurt rather than plain, this added a bit more flavir and countered some of the sourness of the plain yogurt.
Overall, very pleased and would make them again.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons low sugar orange marmalade
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or Splenda For Baking or Sun Crystals Granulated Blend)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup style extra-light vegetable oil spread, melted
- 1⁄4 cup refrigerated fat-free liquid egg product or 1⁄4 cup frozen fat-free liquid egg product, thawed or 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces softened neufchatel cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup low sugar marmalade
- 3 drops red food coloring
- orange strip
- fresh strawberry slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350. Line tweleve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Coat cups with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, gently stir together diced strawberries and orange marmalade; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Whisk just until combined. Add finely shredded orange peel and gently stir.
- Spoon 1/2 of the batter into prepared muffin cups. Evenly spoon strawberry mixture over batter in muffin cups. Bake 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with frosting. Store frosted cupcakes in refrigerator. Garnish with orange peel strips and fresh strawberry slices before serving.
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium bowl, beat Neufchatel with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in greek yogurt. Stir in marmalade (frosting will thin slightly). If desired, tint frosting pink with a few drops red food coloring. Cover and chill frosting 4-24 hours before piping on cakes.