Recipe by ellie_
I made these when my son had oral surgery and they are wonderful! We'll be making these all summer long! Recipe source: Bon Appetit (June 2007)
For the Strawberry Syrup
- 1 lb strawberry, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup (I used less about 1/4 cup)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the shakes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the strawberry syrup: Bring syrup ingredients (strawberries - salt) to a boil in a saucepan over medium high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil uncovered 10 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. Add the lemon juice. Strain, pressing down on the solids.
- Cover and chill for at least one hour or up to one week.
- Place 2 (12 - ounce) glasses in the freezer for one hour. (The original recipe made 4 glasses but used 2 pints of ice cream).
- To make the milk shakes: place 1 cup strawberry syrup, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup ice cream in a blender and puree until smooth. (For four glasses just use 1 pint of ice cream.) Add second cup of ice cream (or for 4 glasses use 2 cups of ice cream) and puree until almost smooth.
- Pour into frozen glasses. Drizzle with additional strawberry syrup if desired and garnish with strawberries if desired.