Recipe by Courtly
"This stunning cake roll is ever so much fun to create and present." From taste of home by Susan Olsen.
Top Review by Taratoo
I made this for Easter/ Birthday for my 8 yr old daughter. It was easy, delicious and impressive looking. My favorite kind of recipe! It is definitely a keeper. I can see myself making it often. I can't wait to try it with other fresh fruits this summer (blueberries, peaches).
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (8 ounce) cartonsspreadable strawberry cream cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon colored. Beat in vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix well.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 2 T. at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon into prepared pan. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and marshmallow creme. Unroll cake; spread cream cheese mixture to within 1/2 inch of edges. Top with 2 1/2 cup strawberries. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a platter. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Just before serving, garnish with remaining strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers.